Following on from the Arduino AoA Indexer project, we’ve got even more hacks with the “30 Days Lost in Space” kit for DCS World! This time, using a coin acceptor and some easy code with DCS Bios, I’ve created a fun and silly coin-operated fighter challenge! You’ve got five seconds of missile arm time every time you drop in a quarter.
A tactical advantage? No way. Tons of fun? You bet.
Check out the video!
I captured the whole process in a brief video - from wiring to coding and the flight test. Have a look, leave a comment! What other kinds of flight sim hardware hacks would you like to see?
Doing it yourself
If you’d like to try this approach yourself, here’s what you need:
- Code - on GitHub
- Design - on Tinkercad
- DCS World - Official Game Site
- DCS-Bios - DCS Arduino Connection
Hardware ingredients needed:
- “30 Days Lost in Space” Kit - at Inventr.io
- Coin acceptor - at Sparkfun
- Power supply - at Sparkfun
- Barrel jack adaptor - at Sparkfun
- Panavise stand - at Sparkfun
I dedicate this build to William “Bill” Brandenburg, 1935 - 2021. US Navy, Sub Hunter, Electrical Engineer. Love you, Grandpa!